I created this exotic soup from local sweet carrots, buttery cashews, and spicy ginger, It gets its creaminess from the coconut milk. It is a raw soup and best served chilled or room temp. For those who cannot imagine cold soup, it is ok to warm it (not boil it) on the stove top.
*Remember to purchase locally grown, seasonal veggies when possible. Sustainable farming and fare minimizes our impact on the earth.
Carrot Cashew Ginger Soup
5 Carrots, locally grown, washed, peeled, and chop
1 cup Raw cashews
1 can organic regular coconut milk, (Native Forest brand I use)
2 large cloves raw garlic
½ tsp sea salt
Fresh ginger root, thumb sized, grated or chopped (may also use store bought ginger puree)
1. Place cashews in a mixing bowl and add enough filtered water to cover top of cashew pile. Cover and allow to sit over night.
2. In a Vitamix** food blender, place all the above above ingredients plus the cashews and water used for soaking.
3. Blend for about 3-4 min until very finely pureed and soup-like consistency. The Vitamix will heat it up a bit. If soup is too thick, Add more filtered water or coconut milk for desired consistency.
**If you do not have a Vitamix, you place the carrots, garlic, ginger, and cashews without water into a NutriBullet or similar high speed blender. You can then place all the ingredients into a regular blender and blend for about 5-7 min.
- Mix in shrimp and steamed broccoli and serve over quinoa or brown rice
- Squeeze in fresh lime juice and top with chopped cilantro
- Top with Thai basil, mint, and dollop of plain Skyr yogurt