It’s August, its hot, but I still take the time to appreciate all the things that make life wonderful!
My 5 Favorite Things for August…
1. 70’s music. Some days I’m stressed and all the tai-chi, yoga, and meditation in the world just doesn’t cut it. There is nothing like jumping in the car, top down, and playing my favorite tunes…with nowhere to go. Jackson Brown’s “Running on Empty” (’77) got me through a really rough patch last week. The Eagles, Donna Summer, Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac, Temptations, O’Jays, Stevie Wonder, Santana, America, Lou Reed, Doobie Brothers, and so many more. The music of my youth just fills me up and takes me back to a happy, free, grounding place. Is there anyone out there that doesn’t know the words to every single Carpenters song ever written? “Yesterday Once More” (’73) …every sha la-la-la, every wo-wo-wo.
2. Diamond Candles. Found these through an old high school friend on Facebook (find me HERE and shout out to Donna Thuman Burke!).
Remember the toy in the cereal box? Well, this is the adult sugar-free version. Burn the candle, and find a ring inside.
They use locally grown soybeans and all candles are crafted by hand in Durham, NC. Great gift idea! Mine is burning bright each night…waiting for the diamond ring.
3. Kefir is a fermented drink, usually made from dairy but non-dairy options are also available. Dr. Tina loves her fermented foods! It is a source of live good bacteria for all those that are struggling with chronic inflammatory conditions. I use this personally and professionally to enhance digestion, reduce asthma, reduce colds and flu, eliminate constipation, treat diarrhea, or just promote a natural good feeling. If you are interested in “bacteria for breakfast” or snack, you can purchase a good brand like Lifeway (http://www.lifeway.net/) or you can make your own. Check out my recipes below **
4. End of Summer Sales. WOO HOOO! I hate shopping–but just love a sale! Truly hate paying full price for anything.
August is when I purchase all my summer items for next year. I’m so lucky to live in a city where sample sales abound.
Just picked up 2 new bikinis from Max Azaria for vacation next week!
5. Calm Eye Gel by Arbonne. Great product for helping remove puffiness below the eye.
The rollerball action helps massage the sensitive fragile skin around the eyes.
I like to keep it in the fridge for soothing relief after a long summer work day…or in the cooler at the beach for relief from too much sun.